Jul 20, 2005

Shadows

Stepping Into My Shadow is a fascinating new blog that I ran across while checking out Indie Nudes. I am fascinated by his ideas about the duality of the self. How many of us sex bloggers would not exist if we only felt more comfortable expressing the 'more shadowy' side of ourselves to the world? There are those who are brave enough to expose themselves in that way (no pun intended) but I myself am not so brave.
If only I could express to the world the ambiguous nature of my desires. But I am asked to label myself, to put myself, and my sexuality, in a box, presumably for easy sorting later on. When asked I often refuse to label myself as anything other than 'curious'. As long as I am not turned on by children and am safe in my play why is it so important if I feel the desire to masturbate to images of naked men vs. naked women? Unless you are my partner in the bedroom (or kitchen...or bathroom....or place of choice....) none of the labels that society tries to force on us should matter. But alas, that is not the case.

2 comments:

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

"If only I could express to the world the ambiguous nature of my desires"

Wants, what's stopping you? life is that short that you will end up regretting not having fulfilled your desires. Your site, named aptly, wants and needs, is in a way a redemption of the duality of self you're talking about...in the sense that we all have our wants/desires, etc, but there is also a crystal-clear distinction between what we need.

What we need usually comes in the way of sex and sex-related issues, including security.

I personally do not think you should restrict your freedom by labelling yourself in one particular categorary. Just because you consider yourself a sex blogger doesn't meanb you cannot go thinking "outside the box" as it were...

you write "for easy sorting later on" For whom, I ask? why should you sort yourself out, or allow yourself to be sorted out for anybody?

The Black Angel said...

I am glad to hear you took a liking to my Blog. The shadows of our inner selves will always be the breeding ground of enlightenment for open minded folks like us. To appreciate, explore, and respect it, is to in turn revere the very core of our human nature. It's an individual evolutionary process we climb in incremental steps. Society perpetuates conformity for the betterment of it's existence. By our noncomformity, we are, in our own way, forging a new society- if only within ourselves.
Keep up the great work. Love your Blog! -J.C.W.-